by BRIANNA BANUELOS
The book and the author have a peculiar and grueling history behind it. First off the author, Steig Larsson, a Swedish journalist wrote the series after he witnessed a gang rape of a girl and never forgave himself for not helping the young girl. The girl’s name was Lisbeth, where the main character’s name from. Another odd fact of Larsson is the fact he died from a heart attack or they believe was caused by someone who sent death threats. With his death he left behind three books finished, but never published. He wrote the books on his free time has a hobby. The murders that go on in the books are influenced by real murders that occurred in Sweden.
The main character of the series is Lisbeth Salander, a twenty six year old, introverted, experienced researcher, and contains photogenic memory. The other main character is Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist and editor and chief of Millennium magazine. These two character cross paths when having to solve a mystery of the death of Harriet Vanger, a niece of Sweden’s infamously wealthy Vanger family.
Throughout the series they continually cross paths and are always trying to assist each other in someway. Salander gets into much trouble in the second book, The Girl Who Played With Fire , where she is framed for a crime of a murdered couple. While she tries to find the truth with the aid of Blomkvist and ends up going down a windy road to find the true murderer.
The final book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest Salander is now not only fighting for her innocence, but also her life.
All three books have been awarded with
- 2006 – Glass Key award, Män som hatar kvinnor
- 2006 – Best Swedish Crime Novel Award, Flickan som lekte med elden
- 2008 – Glass Key award, Luftslottet som sprängdes
- 2008 – ITV3 Crime Thriller Award for International Author of the Year
- 2008 – Exclusive Books Boeke Prize, South Africa
- 2009 – Galaxy British Book Awards, Books Direct Crime Thriller of the Year
- 2009 – Anthony Award, Best First Novel
- 2009 – General Council of the Judiciary, Spain, for his contribution to the fight against domestic violence.
- 2010 – USA Today’s Author of the Year.
The series is a must read! If you are into mystery, murder and a new found heroine, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is definitely a must read! I say buy all three books at once so you don’t have to wait till the next day to buy the next book, this book one that you will stay up all night to finish.