by TAYLOR HIGGINS
1 baguette or loaf of crusty bread
2½ cups grated Gruyere cheese
1¼ cups grated Monterey jack cheese
1¼ cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter (about seven pounds)
1½ cups heavy cream
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Cut the baguette into 1-1½” chunks
3. Toast the bread until crisp, but not darkened. Do not do this in an actual toaster!
4. Cut the top off the pumpkin, like how you would with a Jack-O-Lantern
5. Discard all the pumpkin gunk and seeds. (It helps to do this step over newspaper.)
6. Sprinkle some sea salt into the hollowed out pumpkin. 7. Combine the cream and broth with about ½ tsp. pepper and 1 tsp. salt with a whisk.
8. Place a layer of bread at the bottom of the pumpkin. Add a layer of cheese. Add some of the cream and broth mixture. Repeat these steps until the pumpkin is full about ½” from the top.
9. Place the pumpkin in a baking dish, and brush the outside with olive oil.
10. Place in the oven, and bake for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours. When the pumpkin is tender and the filling is puffed, it is ready.
(For some extra flavor, try adding garlic cloves and toasted pine nuts)